AUDIENCE: Teachers (primary, secondary, vocational, adult, special needs), especially STEM; Teacher trainers; Careers officers,
educational guides and counsellors; principals/managers/administrators, edtech technicians, IT administrators, curriculum and instructional
VENUE: Barcelona, Spain
Phenomenon Learning (also known as teaching by topics or project-based learning) is a multi-disciplinary approach to teaching.about real-world problems
and challenges. Students investigate phenomena associated with societal challenges by asking their own questions, researching facts, and delivering an
answer/solution.Teachers guide them through the process, scaffolding the steps that help them gain knowledge and skills by working for an extended
period of time to investigate and respond to an authentic, engaging and complex question, problem, or challenge through multi-disciplinary perspectives.
Phenomenon learning is an effective and enjoyable way to learn because it engages the student, who develops deeper learning competencies required
for success in college, career, and civic life. This model helps make learning relevant to students by establishing connections to life outside the classroom
and by addressing real world issues. The focus of the course is on the practical and pedagogical activities within a classroom environment and is most
relevant to practicing teachers. Other faculty, administrators and counselors should enroll in the course if the school has plans to implement project-based
Objectives of the Course and Learning Outcomes:
* Explore Phenomenon Learning and associated tools :reflecting on current teaching practices and how they corresponds to a transformative
approach of implementing phenomenon learning in the classroom and in the curricula
* Provide concrete examples, ideas and tools that can inspire and support participants to embark on a phenomenon-learning based journey.
* Understand the importance of scaffolding in the phenomenon-learning process so that students increasingly develop independence and ownership
over the tasks
* Understand how media and technology can be integrated into transformed classroom based in phenomenon learning
* Develop a first idea for implementing a phenomenon learning approach and formulate a driving question
* Develop assessment tools and a variety of activities for phenomenon learning in the classroom, including developing lesson plans for individual
classrooms and for use school-wide
* Develop relationships with experienced phenomenon-learning teachers for collaboration and cooperative projects
- Information: A general introduction on each of the topics
- Sharing: Participants share experiences and expertise on the topic
- Creating output: Working individually or in groups on a concrete product to be taken home and implemented in participant's
own organisation or school
Our courses, developed in the framework established by the Erasmus+ Programme, are crafted to include both formal and non-formal education
methodologies, beginning with a theoretical approach to the theme of the course. The course is designed as an interactive process with emphasis
on establishing a mentor relationship between participants and trainer. It follows two-way communication process including discussions, interactive
activities and working in groups and pairs to develop thinking techniques. The focus of the course is on the practical and pedagogical activities
within a classroom environment and is most relevant to practicing teachers. Other school staff (administrators, faculty and edtech technicians)
will receive skills allowing a school-wide implementation of the model. The participants will also receive a workbook with session’s summaries
and descriptions of activities used.
Our instructional design specialists are experts in adult learning, including non-formal learning strategies that stimulate an active interactive amongst
participants. In addition to presentations, case study analysis, role playing and small group dialogue, this course incorporates technical visits to local
private and public institutions for an exploration of theory in practice and special guest presentations from professionals that prompt an exchange of
good practices and an introduction to new ones.
Evaluation and Validation
Course participants will receive a Certificate of active participation upon successful completion of the coursework. The competences acquired will be
validated by the course organisers on the Europass mobility and a certificate of attendance, which will include title of course, main training content
and dates. This training course will follow a Non Formal methodology in every domain, in order to promote optimal interaction between participants
and trainers as well as between participants themselves.
Duration: Coursework: 40 hours (5 days) Orientation: 8 hours (1 day) Certification: 8 hours (1 day)
Fees: 440€EUR per participant. The fee includes participation fee and tuition for the week-long course; Course Material and training manual for
implementation in classroom environments. Local transportation pass for use on metro/subway, trams and public buses. Before and after the course:
dossier with information material about Barcelona, with city guided tour and entrance to cultural activity venue. Certificate of Attendance with learning
outcomes and Europass. Special pricing for groups of ten or more.
The fee does not include travel to and from Spain, accommodations or meals.
Costs can be funded from Erasmus+ KA1 grants.
Languages of Instruction: English, Portuguese
Special instructions: Includes technical visit to local marketing activity
Preliminary requirements: None
Dates and Location
On demand for groups of five or more participants and specified dates
Knowledge Building in Action
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION ABOUT THIS COURSE OR JOB SHADOWING, PLEASE CONTACT US.
Email us a note to info@KBinAction.com or fill in the contact form below indicating this course as your preference.
Knowledge Building in Action
Meet & Greet at the El Prat Airport and transfer from the airport to the accommodations
Guided mini tour of Barcelona, including introduction to the public transportation system.
Orientation to the coursework, including Introduction of the conceptual and methodological
knowledge and methods of the training. The detailed course content will be agreed upon
before each session according to the needs and requests of the participants.
- Introduce participants to the concept of phenomenon learning and help them to implement this
pedagogical approach in their own classrooms
- Explore the key challenges related to the implementation of phenomenon learning: how to get
students to collaborate effectively and how to facilitate student-driven activities
- Includes Technical Visits to local schools having implemented phenomenon learning in the classroom
- Workshops: small group discussions on designing, implementing and evaluating phenomenon learning projects and mastery
of technology and assessments.
|Teaching by Topics
Through Project-Based Learning